Monday, October 8, 2012
Phase 2 Prompt 3
Aldous Huxley's A Brave New World is considered a dystopian novel. However, could it also be read as utopian? According to dictionary.com, dystopia is defined as a society characterized by human misery, as squalor, oppression, disease, and overcrowding. The same dictionary defines utopia as an ideal place or state and any visionary system of political or social perfection. In many ways, it appears to be a matter of perspective that defines the veiled line between utopia and dystopia. Another representation of a futuristic dystopian society that could be argued as utopian is the popular movie The Matrix starring Keanu Reeves. As portrayed in A Brave New World and The Matrix, these dystopian societies can actually be seen as utopian based on an individual’s perspective, the desire for knowledge of reality, and the collective productivity of the society as a whole.
In the movie The Matrix, protagonist Neo and his team are betrayed by one of their own men named Cypher. Cypher makes a deal with the antagonist Agent Smith to be plugged back into the Matrix because “ignorance is bliss” and he wants to go back to his utopia of not knowing the truth of the world. However, there is no way of being plugged back into the Matrix and the world he used to know and he his subsequently killed. Cypher is a very similar character to John in A Brave New World. If John could have been plugged back into the Matrix, he would have likely done so. Both John and Cypher were overwhelmed with the knowledge of their true realities and they both tried to escape it in their own ways, which led to their deaths. With that in mind, the concept of ignorance is bliss is crucial to determining if a society is a utopia or dystopia.
The people in A Brave New World are ignorantly bliss of true reality, as evident by their conditioning. These people are designed from embryo to adulthood to be content in every aspect of their life. For example, in Elementary Class Consciousness beta children are taught that “Alpha children wear grey,” and “they work much harder because they’re so frightfully clever,” and “glad I’m a Beta, because I don’t work so hard,” but they are “much better than Gammas and Deltas” (Huxley 27). Since people are programmed to be content, they are happy and aren’t looking for a way to rise up from a lower to a higher class. Such programming combined with soma allows people to remain happy and productive without letting bad emotions or the desire to seek truth or knowledge take over. For the mass majority of these people, their society is their utopia. Why would they want to feel bad emotions or not be happy in their work or class when they don’t have to? However, to an outsider who was programmed differently, like John, this society is his dystopia. So why should A Brave New World or The Matrix be considered dystopian societies when the mass majority is content in their ignorance and they seem to be maintaining a visionary system of political and social perfection? If either of these societies were to become aware of the real truth, they would likely fall apart entirely. As seen in A Brave New World, society is thrown into a frenzy when John begins throwing out their soma and a riot breaks out, but they do not understand his reasoning nor do they see themselves as slaves as John does (Huxley 213). Although they are programmed to lack the desire of freewill, they still technically have it and are not treated poorly as slaves are. Therefore, society has achieved utopia as a visionary system of social and political perfection by keeping the people content and productive through soma and conditioning.
The distinction between a utopian and dystopian society is clearly based on an individual’s perspective, their knowledge of reality, and the productivity produced from a visionary system of social or political perfection. Since the people plugged into the Matrix and programmed in A Brave New World are happily unaware of the unpleasantries of reality, are able to remain productive and functioning as a whole, and are not characterized by overwhelming human misery, oppression, or disease, their societies are actually utopian to the mass majority.
[716 words]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great post Marilyn! I agreed with a lot of your opinions. I thought it was very interesting that you pointed out how "the distinction between a utopian and dystopian society is clearly based on an individual’s perspective, their knowledge of reality, and the productivity produced from a visionary system of social or political perfection". I agree with you mostly. But a part me of thinks that there is no "distinction" between the two at all. There is no way anybody can be right. It comes down to (mostly) if it is different, it is wrong. We find the society odd and abnormal because it is not the way we live now. But the individuals who do live in Huxley's world would see ours the same way. There is not a right or wrong answer. Things are just simply different. Why do you think we all consider ourselves to live in a dystopian society but think the "utopian" society in Brave New World is wrong?
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post Marilyn. I also agree with a lot of your view points about the differences between an utopian and a dystopian society. I strongly agree with what you said about how it is all based on the individual's perspective. I think that the saying "ignorance is bliss" seriously applies to this situation. But is living your life without knowing the truth about your surroundings or your true capabilities really true happiness? I think their ignorance puts a cap on the level of happiness that can be reached, whether the individual knows it or not. I think that people can only reach their true potential and true state of happiness if they are exposed to the reality of the world and are allowed to adapt to it as their un-programmed mind sees fit. For instance what if someone in Brave New World could have grown up to be a professional artist if they would not have been altered as a child? They never would have been given the chance to express this creative side of themselves which in the long run could have made them even happier than being an alpha or a beta. Brandi- I think that a utopian society can never really exist. The world will always be perfectly imperfect.
DeleteThat is an intersting way to look at it, but if, as you say, "anybody can be right," does that mean that morality as a whole is relative? Personally, I think morality is real and not just a creation of the human condition. To me, that means that things like this do have right answers. We may not be able to discover them, but they are there none the less. I realize I am making a HUGE assumption when it comes to morals being absolute, so that is where I will derive my question from. Do you see morality as an absolute or just something made up by humans?
DeleteMarilyn, you did a fantastic job on your blog post. I really enjoyed reading your opinions and I loved how easy it was to read. I think that I'm going to reiterate what Brandi and Michelle have already said, but I think that to live in a Utopia or Dystopia is a matter of ignorance. Living in an entirely perfect world and society where people do not commit crimes, or treat each other well all the time, more simply, a perfect society is ignorant. That society truly does not exist. How would it be possible for every single individual to agree and never see something differently? Part of being an individual is to have your own opinions and view points. In a Utopia, at least in my mind, no one would have anything different to say and there would be no variety, creativity, or uniqueness. I do not think that Brave New World could be considered a Utopia, because people are allowed to think differently to an extent. Bernard thinks differently and he is eventually punished, but in a Utopia, he never would have needed to think differently. I am not sure if I am making any sense. But I agree with a lot of what Marilyn had to say. I think that she did a great job.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your post, especially since I’m a big fan of the Matrix. The way you compare the two is great since they are both societies living a lie. You compare John to Cypher which is very interesting as well. Cypher was exposed to reality outside the Matrix and prepared the false world instead. I remember watching the movie when I was younger and thinking "who can blame him?" The movie depicts reality as a harsh world ruled by machines where people freed from the Matrix are hunted. They live life in fear and scarcity. When you compare the Matrix to reality, I think I would chose the Matrix as well and live in ignorance. It’s harder to relate to Brave New World because both sides of that coin are not appealing. John's world seems violent while Mond's world seems mindless. I do like how you also point out that Mond’s world and the Matrix can be considered a Utopia. People are conditioned to be happy and don’t ask questions. It actually makes me wonder how questions bring happiness. I understand people seek knowledge, but is there ever enough knowledge to bring a person true happiness? (Or at least, happiness that differs from the happiness brought on by ignorance?)
ReplyDeleteGreat post, your association of Huxley's novel with the movie The Matrix was very enlightening. I ageee that a indivdual's perspectivee coherently determines whether a society can be viewed as utopian or dystopian. Also, I agree with Brandi's comment stating "There is no way anybody can be right", there isn't an authorative figure who ultimately decides whether a society is either of the two. Dystopia and Utopia are objective aspects depending an individual's upbringing, beliefs, surroundings, etc.
ReplyDeleteMarilyn, great post! I didn't stop to think about how the society of Brave New World could be seen as utopia or dystopia depending on the person or society's perspective. It is interesting to think that regardless of what is going on it all depends on how the citizens of the society see it. The quote about the Beta being happy where is I think sums up the way everybody else thinks as well. They are perfectly content with where they are so they have no need to really challenge that. My question is, do you think people in today's society might be able to view their surroundings as a utopia or dystopia based on your idea of perspectives?
ReplyDelete