Monday, November 19, 2012

Beloved in Beloved


"Whenever I hear any one arguing for slavery I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally." – Abraham Lincoln March 17, 1865

As a young college student with family roots in Germany, the Czech Republic, and in France, I will never be able to fully wrap my mind around the severity and cruelty of how slaves were treated in America. I have attended many history classes and studied all the facts about the war our nation fought and amendments to the constitution concerning slavery, but I have never been to a class where the purpose of the lecture was to describe the deep physical, emotional, and psychological wounds salves were left with. In 1989 Toni Morrison received the Melcher Book Award for her novel “Beloved”. In Morrison’s acceptance speech she talks about how to her knowledge there is no “suitable memorial or plaque or wreath or wall or park or skyscraper lobby” to honor the slaves who worked, escaped, and died on plantations in America. Morrison goes on to say, “And because such a place didn’t exist, the book had to”. Looking at this book as a memorial made me question a lot of the reasons for Morrison’s character choices and how they help honor the memory of slaves. So I ask myself this: What role does Beloved play in the novel and in the “memorial” of slavery in America? Beloved’s presence is enabling at the same time that it is destructive throughout the whole novel. Even though Beloved may have at times caused trouble in the novel, her purpose of coming back from the dead was to help Denver, Paul D, and Sethe let go of the past and move on with their lives.

Beloved and Paul D’s relationship throughout the novel is not a positive one. This being said, Beloved allowed him to start feeling intense emotions again.  Throughout most of the novel Paul D has an emotional wall up. He is afraid to become too attached to any of the people in his life because of what he has been through emotionally. When Paul D was a slave he learned this because it was too hard to see your loved ones go through the suffering and harm. When Paul D discovers that Sethe killed her own daughter he tells her that her “love is too thick” (Morrison 193).  Paul D’s hatred for Beloved is persistent during the whole novel, their strange, dreamlike sexual encounters though helps to open the lid of his “tobacco tin” heart, allowing him to remember, feel, and love again.

Denver benefits from Beloved’s presence in three different stages throughout the novel. This is first evident when as a child Denver has a relationship with the spirit of her dead sister. Next when the physical beloved appears from the water Denver feels an intense dependence on Beloved, convinced that in Beloved’s absence she has no “self” of her own. The relationship that is formed here is almost obsessive on Denver’s part. Denver is convinced that Beloved has come back to wait for the return of their father together. Lastly she indirectly benefits from Beloved’s presence when Beloved starts to become temperamental, self-centered, and sucks the life out of Sethe. During this relationship Denver is forced to leave 124 and become independent and a more active part of her community.

Beloved’s roll in Sethe’s life allows Sethe to revisit past emotions and memories that needed to be discussed so Sethe could let go of her terrible past. Beloved inspires Sethe to tell the stories she had never brought up before. By submerging herself with the memories of her past, Sethe begins to learn about herself and the extent of her ability to live in the present. Even when Beloved vanishes at the end of the novel and Sethe feels hollow and empty, Paul D helps to remind her that she is “her own best thing” in her life, not her children. I think this helps Sethe realize that she can’t fully love and take care of the people in her life is she doesn’t fully love and take care of herself first.

Beloved’s relationships with the characters in the novel helped Paul D, Denver, and Sethe deal with bottled up emotions concerning slavery and family ties. Even though Beloved vanishes at the end of the book, she is never really gone. Beloved represents a destructive and painful past, but she also signals the possibility of a brighter future. Beloved’s character in this novel is vital because it helps the reader understand the emotions associated with slavery. Toni Morrison’s “Beloved” serves as a memorial because it’s graphic content and true depiction of emotion helps the reader become not only sympathetic but empathetic as they are put in the shoes of the characters.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, I liked your idea and post. My post focused on why Beloved exists as well, but yours did a really great job of giving her character purpose. I see her as a catalyst more than anything, but the idea that she is a memorial never occurred to me. I can see her now as an emotional convoy for the reader. I’m usually heartless so it’s difficult for me to be empathetic, but I know that Beloved enables the intense emotions throughout the novel. If she really is a symbol for slavery, or the past, then her ability to create such emotions in the characters (and hopefully the reader) is skillfully written. Since you and me both wrote about Beloved’s existence, I find your post the most interesting. It really makes me question my own post and I thank you for that. Though my thesis focuses more on the supernatural aspect, I think your post will be very beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle, LOVE THIS POST! I was in your group when we discussed the idea of Beloved representing a memorial for freed slaves. It really did turn all of my thoughts on Beloved around. Beloved has many different personalities and emotions. I think that these emotions are also very dominant in a slave who is trying to be free. 1. Beloved is constantly hungary and she is also very fond of sweets. When a slave is on the run, food is very scarce and sweets are almost completely out of reach. 2. Beloved is very angry and possessive over her mother. Many freed slaves are separated from their families. And the anger comes from being mistreated most of their lives. I think that her emotions reflect the emotions that most slaves/ free slaves went through. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your post, Michelle!! I love the connection you made between the purpose of Beloved and the article we read about Toni Morrison writing this book as a memorial. However, to play devil's advocate here, don't you think Morrison could have achieved putting the reader in the character's shoes and allowed us to feel sympathetic/empathetic to gain an understanding of the hardships of slavery without Beloved? As Erik said, Beloved seems to be more of a catalyst than anything. Why do you think Morrison chose to take the idea of "ghosts from our past" so literally in Beloved's case to contribute to the memorial? I also agree with Brandi that it would be interesting to consider Beloved's different personalities and emotions as a direct connection to a slave desiring freedom and a part of the memorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eric- I am very interested to read your you point of view about Beloved. I think that Beloved serves many different purposes as a character and represents many things to Toni Morrison herself. I do agree with Marilyn though. Why does Beloved have to be a ghost? Why not a long lost relative or something? The only answer that comes immediately to mind is that the idea that Sethe's dead child is returning from the dead to make contact with her family brings about heavy emotions for the reader. How does this honor past slaves like a memorial? Well I am still not 100% sure, but I think that Beloved can serve as a memorial because like Brandi said she embodies the emotions and some of the actions of what it was like to be a slave. Just kind of realized that neither Beloved's personality nor her emotions were consistent. I bet this would be true of any slave growing up on a plantation. Brandi you bring up a really interesting side of Beloveds demeanor. I may have to dive deeper into that question in my paper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelle, Oh my goodness! I think you did a great job. Your post was so informative and full of good facts, but at the same time, you made the post very informative and easy to understand. I think that is part of the reason why I liked this post so much. I was able to understand exactly what you meant and I could follow your train of thoughts very easily. I agree with Erik when he said you focused on Beloved true character. I think that Beloved is such an interesting character. I think that you did a great job not only bringing her to life, but bringing light to her supernatural existence. I think that you could expand on Beloved relationship with Denver and with Sethe a little more. Maybe giving a few examples of when Denver saw Beloved disappear and Denver's reaction. As well as Sethe and Beloved sharing the song. What do you think? I think that your paper is going to be so awesome, and I think that you are headed in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quote is just brilliant! It is so true. We know the dates, the acts, and the people, but do we truly understand the experiences. I don't think we ever will.

    I think the idea of memorials would be cool. There museums for the Holocaust, even memorials for the somewhat recent September 11th attacks.

    I see that you are trying to prove "Beloved as a historical memorial", and you have great evidence to do so, but what do they have in common with other museums? I think artifacts within the story would be a great thing to introduce, and how Morrison uses those to almost create a museum for the slaves out of her story. The question is, is Beloved a memorial for the family themselves? She invokes emotion within Sethe and Denver, just like shoes and pictures at a Holocaust museum would do with us.

    The thesis throws me off. Where is it? GREAT JOB AND I LOVE THAT THE MEMORIAL EVIDENCE IS FROM THE AUTHOR HERSELF! JUST BEAUTIFUL PROOF!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post!! i had never even considedred beloved as a memorial to the suffering of slavery, but it really does provide insight on the horrors that they faced at the time. You had some great textual evidence from morrison himself,and i really like the quote you used to start it off. Way to give another perspective that i would have never thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a really good post. I contemplated writing my blog post and final paper in regards to the book Beloved being a memorial to those who suffered from slavery. I thought it was very interesting that you wrote on being able to acknowledge the past and to build from your mistakes and move on. This is a similar point I had in my mind with my final paper, but in regards to the impact religion has. I never stopped to consider though how much Beloved actually helped the surrounding characters of Paul D and Denver. Paul D was able to actually open up his heart again. Denver was able to take the step into womanhood. It is easy to forget the good Beloved brings about when reading through the portion of the book that it seems as though Beloved is single-handedly destroying Sethe and Denver. However, through those dire circumstances Denver is able to take on responsibility and Paul D finally musters up the courage to talk with Sethe again in the end. If you are expanding this blog post into your final paper it might be beneficial to stick with just mentioning the good Beloved has done that way you don't throw off the reader with mentioning Beloved was destructive also. One thing that a woman at the writing center mentioned to me during our midterm paper is that if you mention it during your thesis then you are obligated to write about it, so definitely focus on the good, and I can't wait to see what you come up with. Also, what are your thoughts on the good impact Beloved has had on the community. That could be interesting to tie into the development of Sethe, Denver, and Paul D.

    ReplyDelete