Why is there such a significant difference between the
vampire stories of Bram Stokers’ time and the vampire stories today? Bram
Stoker first wrote “Dracula” in 1897 how does it compare to The Twilight books
my Stephanie Meyer or the hit T.V. show The Vampire Diaries? The biggest
differences in the way the authors portray these vampires are clearly shown
when they discussed how a vampire is created, how one is killed, and what each
vampires intentions are in life.
Each of the authors have created their own spin on how one
creates a vampire. In “Dracula” vampires are considered evil, stalk their prey
until the victim becomes like him. Stoker brutally describes the scene when
Dracula is in the middle of transforming Mina into a vampire when he states,
“the attitude of the two had a terrible resemblance to a child forcing a
kitten’s nose into a saucer of milk to compel it to drink”(Stoker 282). The
scene is uncomfortable, sad, and terrifying. Dracula forces his prey to drink
from him in order to become like him. In Stephanie Meyer’s novel Twilight,
being bitten by another vampire makes a vampire. And if you wish for the
transformation to complete, the victim must endure pain and suffering for a
period of time. But when the transition is complete the vampire will become
more beautiful, gain heightened senses, and yes sparkle in the sunlight. In “Dracula” a newborn vampire is
sexist, evil, thirsty, and looses all compassion. It is clear that over the
past 115 years, vampires have become softer, sexier, and more than willing to
fall in love. Now that we can understand the differences in how vampires are
created, we can now look deeper in to how a vampire can be killed.
The idea of how one can kill a vampire has not changed as
much in the past century. Stoker created Dracula to be killable, but the task
was not an easy one. Van Helsing,
the doctor who knows more than enough about the “night walkers”, uses crucifix,
wooden stakes, and garlic to ward of and kill the evil creatures. Although the
idea of the wooden stake remains mostly intact, the garlic and crucifix
gestures of died away. In today’s’ hit series “The Vampire Diaries”, the sun,
wooden stakes, and werewolf bites are the only fatal weapons that can be used
to kill vampires. It is clear that Stoker’s novel “Dracula” was a major
influence when creating the series. On the other hand the only way to kill a
vampire in the Twilight series is to “the only way to be sure is to tear him to
shreds and burn the pieces”(Meyer 398). The vampire’s head are usually pulled
off by force, and the remainder of the vampire is burned. Although there have
been some adjustments, the difficult factor that comes with destroying a
vampire has not faltered. In every story vampires are stronger, faster, and
more deadly than any human on the planet. So why have recent author made vampires
more likable to the teen fiction world? Stoker’s Dracula has obviously
influenced today’s vampire authors, but why has something so evil become so
affectionate?
The differences between the vampire stories from the 19th
century and the vampire stories today remain unexplainable. Most of the vampire
stories that are written in today’s society end up on the Teen Fiction shelves
in bookstores. So why are teenagers so interested and accepting toward things
that used to be horrifying and evil? What are the differences when it comes to
the vampires’ intentions in the last 115 years? The answers to these questions lie between the differences in
society between then and now. Today, teens are more literate and independent
than those in the 1800’s. They are able to make their own opinions and
inferences on the things they read and watch. Sexual content has also become a
more acceptable form of entertainment within the last 30 years. So the things
that feared adults and seemed unapproachable then, are accepted and approved by
society today.
[674 word]
Meyer, Stephenie. Twilight. New York: Little, Brown and,
2005. Print.
Stoker, Bram, and Tudor Humphries. Dracula. New York: DK
Pub., 1997. Print.
I commented earlier on a post about Twilight and I once again have to state I know nothing about Twilight nor The Vampire Diaries. I now feel a little out of date. Your post about the modernization of vampires brings up a lot of questions about the impact that old vampire lore has had on modern vampire stories as well as how society has impacted it. The transition of vampires over the last 115 years is definitely based on society’s evolution. Vampires have existed long before Bram Stoker, and he was the one more pulled the vampire into the Victorian age. I have not seen it, but I’m guessing Twilight is the next step in that modernization. What were vampires like before the Victorian era?
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with Erik, I'm not familiar with The Vampire Diaries or the Twilight Series. Good job on presenting the differences between Vampires of he Victorian age and modern vampires. You note that vampires have changed over the past 115 years...why do you think that authors are making them "softer, sexier, and more than willing to fall in love." Maybe writers today want to stop the negative steroetypes associated with vampires and make them more likable.
ReplyDeleteGreat post, Brandi! I also wrote about a Twilight and Dracula comparison in my post. However, I appreciate that we focused on slightly different aspects. I hadn't thought about why vampires have evolved into likable creatures that teenage girls fall in love with rather than fear until now. I believe that vampires in today's society have become the modern day fairy tales. Every girl wants that strong guy to rescue her and fall in love with. However, girls today are also attracted to complicated. Having a blood sucking vampire as a boyfriend is definitely complicated. But it's also romantic that a vampire would overcome his primal nature and blood sucking desire because of love. Fairy tales used to be more simple. Princess gets into trouble, Prince saves her, they both live happily ever after. Now, happily ever after is the idea of immortality and spending eternity with the one you love. Romantic, right? Well, sorta. You have to deal with the whole dating and becoming a vampire issue first, but thats what makes the story interesting. However, only "vegetarian" (only drinks animal blood) vampires or those that drink synthetic blood and attempt to "mainstream" are seen as good. The other vampires that drink human blood are still feared in many stories such as Twilight, True Blood, and Vampire Diaries. This was just my opinion in answer to your questions, but this would be an interesting focus of research for your paper. I'm actually tempted to adapt my final paper to the evolution of the horror story Dracula into the modern day fairy tale Twilight since you've inspired me with your questions. This relationship seems to follow the reverse path of classic fairy tales into the darker unhappily ever after Grimm's fairy tales.
ReplyDeleteMarilyn,
DeleteI think we are just inspiring each other! I never considered that the entire idea of fairy tales and falling in love has evolved along side the change in opinions on vampires. And I also like how you pointed out that only the vampires who survive off of animal blood are the characters we all know and love. But that doesn't change the fact that todays youth are attracted to, and love vampires. Where as in the 1800's it was something to fear. And most women our age were not even allowed to read such stories!! I am going to try to focus on that aspect I think. How the youth audiences have changed so significantly over the past 100 years. Thanks so much for the impute!
Brandi, I love your post. It was so insightful. I think you did a wonderful job of comparing the world of Dracula and the world of Twilight. I am unfamiliar with the series the Vampire Dairies, but I take your word for it. Killing a vampire seems like a tough stuff. I know that Buffy the Vampire Slayer needed the aid of stakes, garlic, and crucifixes. I think that you could expand more on the influence that Dracula had on todays audience. Stephanie Meyer has made vampires things to cuddle rather than fear. I really liked what you said about how today's audience now seeks out what was once evil. The direction that your paper is going looks awesome. I think that your headed in a cool place. This topic is really cool to research. You should expand your research to earlier vampire stories that could have influenced Stoker. How do you feel about that?
ReplyDeleteGreat idea Brianna!
DeleteI actually used that as one of my research questions! "What influenced Stoker? What is the original vampire really like?" I think these questions are important in understanding how the stories have changed! It is obvious that Stoker has been an influences on todays' vampire authors, but they opinions on the have changed completely! I think it has a lot to do with our generation accepting things that most others did not! We welcome different races, religions, and apparently supernatural characters, where past generations shunned or defeated them. We were raised to give others a chance and to care for all types of people. I think that is why we accept vampires as good characters today. We give them the chance to be understood, when in the 1800's that was unthinkable. What do you think?
As a twilight fan myself I did enjoy reading your post Brandi! If I may make a suggestion though.. If this is for your five page paper I think it is necessary to make sure that your thesis is arguable! I feel like this is more or a compare and a contrast and not a analysis of why the vampires have evolved in the way they have. I think it would be interesting to research the orgins of the vampire. It would be interesting to see where the store began, the qualities the vampires had, and how humans intereacted with them.
ReplyDeleteGood Luck with your paper.
(Also I had a mini freak out when I saw Breaking Dawn Part Two over break, but we can discuss that later in class :] !! )
Great post about comparing the similarities and differences between the different vampires created in Dracula and the Twilight Series. Back then things comparable to the story of Dracula, Frankenstein, or others were very provocative to readers. In the same sense today we have become so desensitized to the simplicity of what vampires are, that in today's world it might seem more provoking that a human girl could fall in love with a vampire. The same could be said for the tv series Trueblood. In Trueblood there are entire species of supernatural beings that live among humans. The fact that they live among the humans isn't all that big of a deal. Which in a sense is kind of crazy. There are many differences you could look in developing your paper, but I believe it all starts with how much our society has shaped our perception of things that go bump in the night. Aside from the same superstitious things such as stakes and crosses, what else have you noticed stay consistent with the interactions vampires have with humans?
ReplyDelete