In
Beloved, Toni Morrison chose to make
Beloved's character a ghost to create a catalyst that creates transition within
the other characters of the story.
Morrison's choice of making Beloved a spirit rather than just a normal powerless
person brings multiple elements that help others evolve to a higher state. This evolution is shown in Sethe, Denver,
Paul D mainly, but can also be seen in the community surrounding 124.
From
the first chapter, the baby's ghost materializes in the form of "a pool of
red and undulating light" and the house and furniture moving violently (Beloved
10). This introduction of supernatural phenomenon
allows the reader to accept that ghosts can exist. Thus, when Beloved emerges from the water, we
can see her as the child's ghost in mortal form. She gives her name as Beloved, which is a
clear reference to Sethe's child's tombstone.
The fact that she doesn't give her name as the child's original name
(which we never learn) gives enough deniability to Sethe that the girl is her
dead child. If she had presented herself
as Sethe's child when they first met, Sethe's inability to deal with the past
would have stopped the two from ever forming a relation. Beloved lowered the emotional barriers Sethe
had built and made her tell stories of the past. A theme that exist in Beloved is the idea that the past cannot be erased, but it can be
accepted and to move on despite it. We
never see Sethe fully understand this concept, but she is finally able to
"let go" of Beloved. Given the
chance to right the wrong she had done sixteen years ago, Sethe takes an ice
pick and charges at the coming white man to protect her family. This is the event that she wished she done
before and now finally able to fight rather than commit infanticide, she runs
away from Beloved. Beloved's goal is
reached in the final paragraph of chapter 26.
"Sethe is running away from her, running, and she feels the
emptiness in the hand Sethe had been holding" (309). Sethe is now able to escape her past. Whether she can fully accomplish this is out
of Beloved's hands. She vanishes with
her purpose completed.
Denver
is the first to learn of Beloved's true identity. She had been accepting of the benevolent
presence at the house from the beginning seeing it as her "only other
companion" (23). Denver accepted
the supernatural early on and knowing that Beloved was her former sister, she
felt a need to care for Beloved.
However, Beloved becomes obsessed with Sethe alone, forming a rift
between Denver and Sethe. Because of
Beloved's parasitic nature, Sethe became unable to fill the role of protective
mother that sheltered Denver. Denver was
forced to grow up and also to break her isolation from the community. Also at the end of chapter 26, "Denver
running too. Away from her to the pile
of people out there. They make a
hill" (309). This symbolizes
Denver's joining to the community.
Paul D's arrival (in my opinion) marks the
moment of change within the story. For
years, Sethe and Denver lived in 124 haunted and unchanged. Paul D brings memories of the past, a new perspective,
and an opportunity to change. Along with
that, Paul D himself was in need of help.
His red heart had been replaced with a "tobacco tin"
representing his close emotions (86). Paul
D's suspicion of Beloved came from him seeing her lift a chair with one hand
despite her being ill. She was a mystery
to him, and was cautious of her. At the
end of chapter 12, Paul D's the rust that sealed the "tobacco tin"
flaked away releasing the seal (138).
This comes from Beloved and Paul D uniting for the first time. With her help, Paul D could once again open
his heart to others. Though his emotions
are not meant for Beloved, her unlocking his heart helps him reach a better
understanding. This leads him to utter
the final and best advice to Sethe: "You your best thing, Sethe. You are" (322).
Despite
Beloved's behavior and parasitic tendencies, I believe she was a force of
good. Her actions lead to the evolution
of the characters and she left only after happiness was within reach for
them. She vanished like a ghost, though
Morrison still leaves room for debate whether she was a ghost or not. The supernatural elements can be accepted
fully by the reader or just thought of mass delusion and a lost woman. Her ghostly nature leads Beloved to became
the necessary evil and the lost hope that the characters need. Just before she vanishes, the last act
Beloved does is smile. If she were a
ghost brought back to fulfill a purpose, once her purpose is met, she leaves
mysteriously. It leads me to wonder, if
Toni Morrison had written Beloved without supernatural powers, could things
have turned out the same way? Could
Beloved even be written in a non-supernatural way without becoming far too coincidental?
In a word, WOW. This was an incredible read. I agree with you that without the supernatural aspect of Beloved, this story would be more ordinary and coincidental. I would like to know a little more about the community.
ReplyDeleteJames I agree wholeheartedly. Erik, you did a wonderful job. I love how detailed you are in your analysis, as well as how you asked and answered many questions. I felt that you have an entirely unique perspective on the book. I had never considered that Morrison would use the moving furniture as a gateway for acceptance of the supernatural. That is so cool to think about. Do you also think that Morrison used the dog as way to introduce Beloved as a ghost? That the violence she exhibited had some connection to the violent way her life ended. I think that the way Beloved is a parasite is sometimes a good thing, but I also felt that her actions to push Denver away from Sethe were bad. Although, I guess that if Beloved had not pushed Denver away. she would have remained that spoiled child that never left the porch. What do you think Erik?
ReplyDeleteGreat pos, you provide ample textual evidense to support your analysis. I think that Beloved being a supernatural being most definitely is a significant part that would change the novel if it were otherwise. I also agree that end the Beloved was a force of good that allowed Sethe, Denver, and Paul D to move on and live a better life. I can understand how Paul D's arrival can be seen as a moment of change in the story. Do you think the story also changed upon Beloved's arrival/vanishing?
ReplyDeleteGreat post, Erik! I believe that this would be an incredibly interesting final paper. You have clearly thought about the impact Beloved has on each character and their development in great detail. The questions in your conclusion are very thought-provoking and I'm sensing the "so what?" in that paragraph for the final paper. I don't think that Beloved would be the same if Toni Morrison had written the book without her having a supernatural quality. Do you think that this is Morrison's way of "laying the ghosts of the past to rest" or more of a representation/memorial of the hardships of slavery like we read in one of the articles from class? I would also be interested in reading about how Beloved helped the community surrounding 124 evolve. Specifically, the point where the community members are remembering the good times they had at 124 when they were younger as they come together to save Sethe from Beloved is an impactful moment of the book. How or why do you think Toni Morrison chose Beloved to unite the community together to rescue one family during their personal hardship and why does Beloved disappear after that moment?
ReplyDeleteBrianna - to answer your first questions, I believe that early events are a prelude of things that are to come. The violent treatment of the dog could be seen as foreshadowing or a preparation of the violence that the rest of the book will show. I would also agree that it may mean a reflection on the violence that Beloved had to endure in her death. To your second question, I think it's easy to say that Denver needed the rejection and break from the obsessive love her mother was giving. It was her independence that she gained, and loneliness usually comes along with forced independence. I'm not sure that Denver was an intentional concern for Beloved. I wonder how things would have turned out if she had not treated Denver in such a manner. I would assume Denver would not have grown up.
ReplyDeleteJarrett - I can't really say if her arrival and departure are points of change in the story. If I look at it from an entire story point of view, I would say Paul D's arrival would be the start of the rising action and Beloved's vanishing as the climax. It does make me value Paul D's character more if he is the cause of change. Beloved's arrival could be seen as a point of change, so I wonder if there are others or better turning points in the story that I have overlooked.
Erik- thank you for your insightful answers. I see how the violence that Beloved exhibited could relate to a foreshadowing of the book. The book gets progressively more violent in nature. Whether it is Sethe chasing a man with an ice pick, or reliving the traumatic events endured by Beloved and Sethe. I am glad that Denver had the chance to grow up in the book. She was so annoying in the beginning. I wanted to kick her butt right off that porch and out into the world. I understand what you are saying about how loneliness and independence go hand in hand. Do you think that any other characters in the book underwent a similar transformation?
DeleteI really like what you brought up about the theme in Beloved Erik. I totally agree that that even though the past cannot be erased you have to learn to let go of it is a very important theme in this novel. As you know in my paper about Beloved I am discussing how Beloved allows these characters to experience real emotions again and move on with their lives. Erik have you thought about researching about the role that ghost stories and connection to dead loved ones played in a salve or former slaves life? I think it would be interesting to do some research on why Morrison may have made Beloved a ghost. I wonder if ghost stories and the acceptance of the supernatural was something common during this time period..
ReplyDeleteI also agree with Michelle that it would be really interesting to research the role that ghost stories and connections to dead loved ones played in a slave's or former slave's life. From this research, do you think we could understand why Morrison literally uses Beloved as an actual "ghost" from the past? I also think it would be a good idea to discuss specifically why despite Beloved's parasitic tendencies and behavior that she is still a force of good. Is it just Beloved's effect on the people around her that makes her a force of good, or is it Beloved's character herself?
DeleteWhat I have always wondered is does Beloved know why she is there? Does Beloved understand her "goal" for coming back to her family? I do believe that Beloved's character was negative and hurtful at some points, but I strongly believe that she did not come back to cause any harm. Again I would love to get inside Beloved's head more throughout the novel.
DeleteYou have awesome ideas and good textual evidence, I just feel like you could get very specific with textual evidence when it comes to this topic. For instance, when proving that Beloved is who she is, for a audience who may be reading this that has never read Beloved there must be more proof. For instance, I think you have a lot of great ideas, but you aren't necessarily taking it to a level for someone who isn't familiar with Beloved, it's characters, and it's plot.
ReplyDeleteI absolutely love your imagery of escaping the past! Fantastic.
I like that you point that out. With out supernatural activity. Is the story just too off the cuff? I think the idea that she is a ghost (which I believe to be true) illustrates her means of "haunting". This is obviously a technique Morrison uses to bring her back into the story in a way that makes us question, leaving us wanting more.
You say "higher state", Sethe escapes guilt in a sense, she allows Paul D to see his true feelings (I'd like to know more on how his uniting with Beloved leads him to say these things to Sethe), and when you say what happens to Denver through Beloved you use terms such as "breaking away from isolation" further that. It's great evidence, but I think you need to dig deeper!
Great Job, Erik! Keep up the good work!
i really enjoyed your post. i like how you pointed out that the author needed to make the reader believe that super natural beings exsitd in order to make the changes within the characters possible. it really makes me think whether or not it is possible for a ghost to change someones life? or perhaps just the thought of one existing can change ones mentality about certain things..its hard to imagine this story in the real world, but would it be possible??
ReplyDeleteThis was a very good post regarding the role of Beloved. The part that stood out the most to me was when you quoted "Denver running too. Away from her to the pile of people out there. They make a hill" (309)." I think more so than her joining the community is the symbolism that they are alive and together with each other. In the chapter that Beloved "narrates", Beloved keeps mentioning a hill of bodies that she kept seeing while she was in an undead realm. After going into more depth in what she was describing it made sense that Beloved could have been describing the process of the slave trade and how many slaves would die on the ship from Africa to America, making hills of bodies. So now that Denver and Sethe are becoming "alive" again free from Beloved they are joining the hill of bodies that is community, but the major difference is that they are alive rather than dead. If your final paper is an extension of your blog post I think it would be very interesting to look into that chapter, and try to do the research regarding the process of the slave trade from Africa to America. In regards to Beloved being a force of "good", do you think that Beloved could have simply been a subject in which Morrison needed to basically further the plot?
ReplyDelete