Sunday, September 9, 2012

Phase 1 Prompt 2


         Shirley Jackson’s “The Lottery” achieves a feeling of shock and horror through symbolism and characters.
       The theme of “The Lottery” is to show the dangers of blinding following tradition. The main symbol in this theme is the black box, which is used for the lottery drawings.  This decaying vessel represents tradition, which is something most readers have in their lives (especially in 1948 when this was released).  Tradition is something passed down for generations and like the box, people will forget the reasoning behind it.  The original ceremony of the drawing has been altered, parts removed, wooden chips exchanged for paper, and chants and customs were removed due to forgotten reasoning (Jackson 195).  Despite these allowed changes, the box and some pieces of tradition were kept constant.  Mr. Summers tries to convince the villagers that a new box was needed, however, the towns people are unwilling to make such a change. The box itself was actually a second production, and one of the few reasons to not change it was a story that it had been crafted with pieces from the original box.  Each year, the box grew shabbier, losing its color, and splintered (196).  Such a symbol clearly mirrors our own traditions passed down from an ancient time, with their reason for existence fading and their strict standards altered. 
      Another symbol to be viewed are the words and names the author uses throughout her story.  The very first being the title.  A lottery is usually associated with a positive event.  Today there are lotteries for large sums of money and the original lottery (held in England in 1567) was used to distribute money to low-income families (World 477).  However, its ironic that the “winners” of Shirley Jackson’s lottery are sentenced to death.  Along with the title, the names of the characters can also be viewed as symbolic.  An ironic and misleading name is given to the conductor of the lottery.  Mr. Summers’ name and attitude show a positive tone. Referring back to the very first sentence of the story, Jackson paints a lovely picture of a “summer day; the flowers were blossoming profusely and the grass was richly green” (Jackson 194).  We can see use this to see how ironic Mr. Summers’ name is.
       Some would argue that Old Man Warner’s character and name symbolizes tradition itself, I believe that he symbolizes the driving force behind following tradition; the driving force being reluctance to change.  He says, “First thing you know, we’d all be eating stewed chickweed and acorns.  There’s always been a lottery.” (199) He is unwilling to change because of a unsubstantiated belief that giving up the lottery would reduce the village to an ancient time of hunting and gathering.  He takes solace in his old saying, “Lottery in June, corn be heavy soon” (199).  I won’t look at the characters themselves, but the names Steve Adams and Mrs. Graves clearly show powerful symbolism.  Steve Adams represents Adam and Eve, the first people to ever exist and the beginning of humanity, while Mrs. Graves represents death and the end of life.  At the end of the story, they stand together to represent the cycle of life and death.  This cycle also represents the repetition seen throughout history of pointless violence and how it will be repeated long after.           
        The pleasant scene that Jackson begins with amplifies the horrifying ending of the story.  To me, this scene is created more by Jackson’s characters rather than scenery. We see young children seemingly playing, women gossiping, and men speaking of farming matters (194).  Their mannerisms give very little indication about the true purpose of the lottery.  For example, Mrs. Hutchinson (the victim) shows up late and lightly passes it off as forgetfulness.  “Wouldn’t have me leave m’dishes in the sink, now would you, Joe,” are her words that manage to get a small laugh for the crowd (197).  This calm, yet slightly nervous reaction of the crowd still never lets on the ultimate outcome of the lottery.  Even the citizens’ names (Anderson, Clark, Delacroix, Jones, Zanini) give the reader an “everyman” situation (198).  Some are common and others slightly exotic to show that this is not a collection of the exact same people The readers could even ask themselves: how many Johns, Bills, and Bobbies do I know? The combined commonality and normal behavior of the villagers disarms the reader and shows that even the most ordinary people can be capable of the same hyenas acts. 
Jackson succeeds in showing her readers the dangers of following tradition as well as the inhumanities that we all are capable of.  Her use of symbolism and characters create a scenario and is relatable to the reader, yet still terrifying.


Works Cited

Jackson, Shirley. “The Lottery.” Fiction: A Pocket Anthology. Ed. R.S. Gwynn. 7th ed. New York: Longman, 2012. 194-202. Print.

Zeleny, Robert O. (Ed.). (1991). The World Book Encyclopedia (1st ed., Vol. 12, p. 477). Chicago: World Book, Inc. Print.





8 comments:

  1. Wow! I think you did a great job on your blog post. I did not even think about some of the points you brought up. I am really impressed by your analysis of the story. I am curious how you thought about the names being significant? The names did not even register to me to mean anything other than names. The last sentence in your post was the best summary that I can find when talking about this story. I agree with your analysis, because when I first read the story, I was thinking of a quiet town heading out to celebrate a fun lottery. The thought that this could turn out to be a death sentence never crossed my mind.
    In your post you mentioned dangers of tradition. Do you think that all traditions are dangerous? Do you think that we are all capable of inhumanities such as the one Jackson presented? I do not think that stoning someone is something that would be accepted. At least in our society. They stoned a townsperson in hopes to have a better harvest in the fall. We don't live our lives day to day hoping for a good harvest. My point is that blindly following traditions is not always dangerous. Most people celebrate a tradition once a year in December. They celebrate this with out thinking about it, it has been engrained in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great questions here, Brianna. To pull one out that you mention at the end, do any of you think there MIGHT be anything potentially "dangerous" about celebrating Christmas traditions?

      Delete
    2. While I don’t believe blindly following traditions is always dangerous, I do believe that was the warning that the author is giving us. Traditions can be good, and joyous, and bring positive results. However, I can’t really think of the tradition that surrounds us. There are examples in the military (uniforms), courts (procedures), holidays (Labor Day), politics (bipartisan system), heritage (oldest son receiving more), religious (Islamic) and many others. Because of this, I find this difficult to say how much tradition is good or bad. This story was released in 1948, so you could say the treatment of women in that time period was “traditional”. I do not believe Christmas is a dangerous tradition.

      Delete
  2. Your blog post is seriously awesome. Your comment about the box being a symbol of tradition and how the town is against change, gave me chills. If you look at it that way, then the townspeople are looking at "The Lottery" as a celebration instead of just an annual event they are forced to participate in. That would explain why many of the people in the crowd are so relaxed. Which makes the towns people seem even more horrific. But I also agree with Brianna. An even like this cannot be made right just because it is considered a tradition. I think there are people who disagree with the annual event, but are just too afraid to speak up. Can you imagine what the punishment would be for someone who is against this action? I mean they seem to be okay with stoning innocent people to death. I think Jackson only voices the characters who seem to support the lottery just to show how many people are not speaking up. Times are changing, people in other towns have already stopped. Why do you think they have stopped? I think it is because people are speaking up and knowing that the lottery is wrong. And if other towns are seeing this, who is to say that people in this town arn't seeing it to. Just because it is a tradition, I still think that the lines between right and wrong are defined. That is why this tradition is slowly coming to an end. But your view on the names in the story seem spot on. I think that Jackson chose the names carefully to embed a deeper meaning into the story. And I think that it is really great that you were able to dig deep enough to figure it out. I totally missed the names as a symbol. I will definitely be looking for these type of symbols when I am ready stories in the future. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So are we all in agreement that Mrs. Hutchinson dies in the end? I honestly thought she may have lived through it. What do you guys think? Erik I love the point you brought up about Graves and Adam. You did an awesome job reading inbetween the lines. I agree that Graves and Adam could represent the cycle of life and death. I also agree that the theme of life of death is mirrored in the beginning and ending scenes of the story.Brianna- I think that humans are capable of many terrible things and many wonderful things. We are an easily influenced race. The fact that these people grew up with this strong tradition molded them in a way to feel a strong need to carry out these acts. I wish the story would have been told from a first person perspective. I would have loved to have been able to look into the thoughts of someone experiencing it first person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do you believe she may have lived through it? I think Mrs. Hutchinson does die in the end. If she were to be spared that would be breaking tradition, which seems to be highly valued in the town. Also the last line states “…and then they were upon her” (202), meaning the townspeople went through with stoning her. I agree this shows that humans are easily influenced. None of the townspeople rebelled or even spoke against this immoral act. We as humans value traditions and accept the popular thoughts of those around us. This notion is probably the reason why the tradition continues to live through each generation and will continue to live.

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed reading your post! A great point bringing up that some would argue that Old Man Warner could symbolize the tradition itself. At one point when they are in the middle of drawing for the Hutchinson family, Old Man Warner says "It's not the way it used to be, people ain't the way they used to be. " (201) I was greatly intrigued and a little baffled by this statement. Although I understand that this tradition has been going on for a long time for the most part unquestioned, I wonder how the lottery was started and how the people used to react. It seems that the people facing the lottery at this time and point in the story have succumbed to this horrid tradition and are essentially numb to it. The mere fact that everyone was able to so easily turn against their fellow townsman, friend, and family member and put them to death was shocking. It feels that this is a seemingly pointless waste of human life and I can barely fathom what may have happened to anyone who opposed the lottery in the past. I can only assume that the punishment was so severe, that it has over time subdued these people into complete submission that they now continue this tradition without question when it does not even necessarily seem strictly enforced anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked your post and was really drawn to what you said about the black box. I had never seen it that way, or bothered to think of it, but I completely agree. The box represents a sort of "dark tradition" that these townspeople maintain. Even when they talk of making a New box nobody really does it, and I think that says a lot. It shows how truly afraid of change these people are, and that's why they follow traction so blindly. Do you think that's why they still stone people instead of using a more humane way of killing?? They are that afraid of change.

    ReplyDelete