Sunday, September 9, 2012

Phase 1 Prompt 2


     In Shirley Jackson’s story “The Lottery”, Jackson shocks her readers by writing about a town that has a casual and nonchalant attitude about the annual public stoning of a random townsman. The shared casual attitude of the members of the town in this story shocked me most once the purpose of the lottery was revealed at the end. What made this story most disturbing was the fact that the members of the town were so at ease with what was about to happen.  
     Jackson starts off by describing the scene at town square.  Her description of the weather and the scenery honestly paints a beautiful picture. She describes the warm sunshine, flowers blossoming profusely, rich green grass, and children playing (194). As a reader I immediately felt a positive tone (not to mention that the title is “The Lottery” which I feel has a positive connotation). The children at the begging of the story immediately begin to gather stones for the lottery. All of the kids laugh and play with each other as they gather these stones that will eventually be violently thrown at an innocent lady of the town. The first time I read the story this seemed like innocent child’s play. The way that the children gather the stones as if it is almost exciting or like a game really made my skin crawl when I read the story the second time. The children knew that they needed to gather the stones without being asked. This calm and methodical attitude is displayed throughout the rest of the story.
     All the towns people are almost at peace with what is about to happen. Everyone knows the drill and seems unaffected by it. When more of the older members of the town (who should have a better grasp on the severity of the lottery) gather at the square, still their attitudes are relaxed. The men and women tell jokes, exchange gossip, and greet one another with smiles (195). It really bothers me that this lottery ritual is such an accepted activity. Everyone acts so casually about it. Who is enforcing these rules? It makes me think that there must be a severe punishment for those who are not willing to participate. I just keep wondering why everyone is so ok with what is about to happen.
     When dialogue starts in the story I only get more disturbed. Everyone is just shooting the breeze. No big deal. Someone is about to get brutally stoned but let’s act like nothing is wrong and just catch up instead. There is one member of the town who is particularly in favor of the lottery. That creepy Old Man Warner was very proud to participate in the lottery. He brags about it being his seventy seventh time attending like it is a huge honor (199). He also seems offended and in disbelief when he is told that other towns have decided to stop conducting the lottery. The old man says there is nothing but trouble in quitting the lottery.  He calls the young folk in a neighboring village a “pack of crazy fools” for considering giving up the lottery (199). The old man’s attitude about the lottery is positive. I think he feels like it is a necessary to keep the lottery going so that people continue to work hard.
     It isn’t until the last few paragraphs of the story until I began to fully understand what is about to happen to the “winner” of the lottery. The woman selected is naturally not pleased with her present situation.  She claims that it isn’t fair. Some of the tows folk tell her to “Be a good sport” (200). Are you kidding me? I hate how everyone in that dang town acts like this is just something they have to put up with once a year. They are almost emotionless about it. Maybe there were signs of them being slightly nervous here and there about their name being called, but overall everyone was acting way too casual. When it does come time to stone the lady who was selected the town closes in on her like she is just a piece of meat. Her neighbors (who she had previously just talked to) pick up stones with no hesitation. I ask myself again… what is the punishment for not participating in the lottery? Obviously it is something serious or else everyone would not be so obedient about the task at hand. Overall the townspeople seemed emotionless, too calm, and way too “ok” with the situation. 

[757 words]

7 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post! I think you did a wonderful job. I think that your reaction to the story reading it the first time is completely warranted. The tone and the setting unfolds into a beautiful story. When the tone shifts, the audience is almost unaware. The author, Jackson, kept the reader in the dark and confused until the end. I think that Jackson did this on purpose. I think that her story is so upbeat and light hearted about the ordeal because it is easier to go with the crowd than to go against it. I think that a punishment that keeps the townspeople in line would be they are the ones chosen to be stoned, rather than in the lottery. Being the only one to want to instigate change is just as dangerous as being picked to be stoned. This society has done the lottery for so long that this is how people cope with it. Its sad to see in the story that the children participate in the violence as well. People do not know a different way of living, our culture tells us that stoning people is wrong. Obviously they do not know that. What is wrong to us, may not be wrong in their eyes. What do you think you would have done, stand up for what is right in your mind, or participate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a lot of them same reactions to the story as both of you. I agree that this event isn not wrong to the towns people because it is all they have ever known. They were born into this lifestyle, and that is why they are so opinionated about it. Although, I would not jump the gun when saying that "all the towns people are at peace" with this event. Their are a few people in the crowd who seem to enjoy this horrible event. But we do not have proof that they are all okay with it. If this is a annual punishment for innocent people, what would the punishment be for those who spoke against it? I think that most of the people participate because they have to, and do not speak up because they are afraid to. It has become a tradition, and people participate because they have. But your question "who is enforcing the rules" is probably the biggest question behind the story. THAT is the information we need to draw conclusions. And I think the author left it out for the purpose of making up wonder (or confuse us). But we do not know the reasoning behind this act or who is enforcing it, therefore it is hard to come to a conclusion. For all we know, the "townspeople" could all be criminals and murderers and this is their punishment. But in the story there is some evidence leads me to believe that this is not a event that is completely supported by everyone in the town. The author says, "There was a long pause, and breathless pause" and "no one moved"(199). This sounds like fear to me. Do you guys really think everyone supported this event?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandi- I agree that the author left out the reason for the lottery on purpose. The fact that it leaves you with so many unanswered questions really amplifies the "yucky" feeling you get after reading it. No I do not believe that everyone supported the stoning. I do feel that people had no desire to fight it because there was some worse consequence from a higher power. I don't know if I was unclear in my original post but I feel that the towns people don't necessarily enjoy the lottery but more that they have just accepted it as something they have to do. That casual "non fighting" attitude is what really bothered me. I just wanted to see some appropriate emotions from these people!! Brianna- I like the point you made that they just don't know anything different. The children probably seem at ease because this is something they have been experiencing since birth, like some twisted holiday that just happens. That being said other towns did decided to stop holding the lottery. So obviously some people out there know that this is wrong even though they grew up with it for the majority of their lives. I wonder how the other towns are getting away with ending the lottery? So many unanswered questions!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was also shocked at how serene all of the townspeople seem to be, even though a person’s life is about to be taken. I agree everyone does seem emotionless about stoning the winner. I think that the lottery is such a tradition among the townspeople that emotion is taken out of the entire process; it’s just a social event led by a higher authority. Rather, the townspeople had no choice but to participate. The girl who whispered “I hope it’s not Nancy” (201) shows that the townspeople do in fact value life. Maybe it’s not that they are accustomed or nonchalant towards this lottery but, more so forced to participate and hide emotions. I agree with Brandi's comment, it seems that the townspeople are fearful and that everyone does not agree with "the lottery" simply because it's immoral.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading your post. The way you describe the behavior of the villagers is spot on. I have a question about a line in your post: “All of the kids laugh and play with each other as they gather these stones that will eventually be violently thrown at an innocent lady of the town.” I’m curious about your use of the word innocent. It raises the question, is she really innocent? I would assume that had she not been the “winner”, she would have still participated in the stoning. After all, the lottery has been going on longer than the oldest member can remember. So this means that all the villagers, including Tessie Hutchinson, are guilty of stoning many others to death already. I understand how we all see shock and horror through the villagers’ actions because they are “innocent” people about to commit a horrific act, but if you think about past, they are all cold-blooded murderers who do what they do every year. However, I can’t blame the villagers for their actions. They believe that what they are doing is the right thing. It is a tradition learned from childhood with an entire community supporting it and living without a moral compass.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading your post as well. I believe that you made several good points. In particular, I liked the fact that you talked about the way the tone of story at the beginning versus the end made you feel. Shirley Jackson is an effective writer through the use of her words with positive connotations to essentially create shock for the reader when it actually hits us as to what is really happening. For example, Jackson tells us that the lottery is conducted by Mr. Summers as well as the square dances, teenage club, and Halloween program, which allows the reader to believe that the lottery is yet another one of those town celebrations or events. The tone does not flip until the intentional break in the story, followed by the sentence "there was a long pause, a breathless pause." At this point, Jackson changes the tone and creates a sense of chaos. Having previously set the expectations and mood of the reader, Jackson plays off of the shift in order to create a feeling of shock and disbelief while it dawns on us that this is a common and accepted occurrence for these townfolk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed your post because the question of whether or not there was somebody actually enforcing the lottery was one I asked myself as well as I finished reading the story as well. At first I thought there had to be something forcing these people to do such a horrible thing, but after awhile, considering what some of you mentioned about how they grew up and were raised to believe that the lottery was justified, I now think it was just tradition and severe superstition that drove these people to commit such a gruesome act.

    ReplyDelete